Monday, April 25, 2011


Where do I begin?  This weekend was so overwhelming that I don't even know where to start.  I guess I will start with Friday.  I wanted so badly to post on little man's birthday but I just ran out of time.  Friday was the big day.  The 1st birthday.
I took the day off of work and asked (okay, kind of told) my mom and sister that I needed them to do the same.  I did really well with my pre-planning for the party but I knew I couldn't accomplish all of the baking on my own.  We started out the day with breakfast at the Ye Olde Waffle Shop on Franklin Street.  My good friend, Patrice, joined us.  Deuce got his first present from Aunt Trice, a nice bucket hat perfect for the beach!
After a yummy pancake breakfast (his favorite!) we stopped for some quick photos outside.  This place is a Chapel Hill landmark, after all.  We needed documentation of the 1st birthday breakfast location, right?
After breakfast we said "bye" to Aunt Trice and headed to Wally World in Hillsborough to pick up all of our baking supplies.  It started to drizzle as soon as we got out of the car.  Great!!  We made sure Auntie's head was covered but the little man?  Hmmm, well he likes baths right?  He'll survive.
We were high off of excitement and just the plain thrill of shopping at Wal-Mart.  Plus Deuce was walking around waving to everyone he passed in the store.  He knows Auntie so well.  All he has to do is fuss just a tad and out of the cart he goes...
When we got over to Nana's, it was time to let the baking begin!  Grandpa was there to "help"  with Deuce while we worked.  He fed him and took almost a 2 hour nap with him.
My little man likes to eat so much that he started "hiding" his snacks so he could save them for later.  And see the two teeth?  Hallelujah!  They do exist...
When we were pretty much done with all of the baking it was time for cleanup.  I swear I need one of these vacuums because he loves it.  It's not loud and it's not heavy and he knows how to use it.  I think he walked around with it for a good 30 minutes.
After we left Nana's, we went to meet daddy at Mimi's for dinner.  Deuce had his first piece of Chocolate Mousse pie.  I told Ed that he had to eat some of his dinner before he just dug into all of that chocolate (which he'd never had before).  He tossed back his bottle with a quickness.
He was eyeing the pie while eating his squash to make sure nobody swiped any of it.  Or maybe it was just the flicker of the flame on his candle.
As it turns out, he didn't really like the chocolate.  He kept spitting it out.  But the whipped cream, ooooh he loved it.
He was knocked out by the time we got home from dinner and slept nice and hard.  I was up at 6am on Saturday to get ready for the party.  I left before the boys were awake and headed to Chapel Hill to get my hair did.  Auntie met me there.  After leaving the salon, I made a few last minute stops before heading to Nana's.  We spent the last 3 hours setting up the table and getting ready for the party.  I had a vision in my head that has been brewing for about 3 months now and it finally came to life.  SO here it is....the dessert table.
There is no way I could have done it without Nana & Auntie but it was nice to see it all come together.  Here are some other pictures of the spread...
Everyone started to arrive and the house was full of little ones.  It was so much fun!  The men (& Auntie) went outside to play cornhole and the women made scrapbook pages for little man while the babies played.
I was just sure that Deuce was going to dive in to his cake when it was time.  I had prepared myself for his face in the cake.  But it didn't happen.  I'm not sure if it was all of the people singing to him and staring at him or if it was the sun shining in his eyes but he was not having it.  So we (and I mean we) worked on the smash cake together.  As in he ate it in my arms and wiped it all over me.  But it was awesome!  Plus, I love that he wore the party hat I made for him long enough to get a good picture!
Deuce loved all of his presents and got so distracted by some of them that we had to open some of them for him.  He was so excited to get his lifetime sportsman fishing & hunting license from Nana & Grandpa that he clapped over and over again!

After gifts, the babes were back outside to play some more.  They had a great time!  And Nana loved having all of the babies at her house!!
We are so thankful to have such wonderful friends and family that came out to help us celebrate our baby boy turning 1.  And I am especially thankful for my mom and sister who devoted so much time and energy to making this party happen the way that I wanted it to.  Yes, I am spoiled but it was a party to remember.

And PS...I have plenty more pictures (like 250+, lol) so I will post more pics of the kiddos to facebook later.


  1. Oh My Gosh!! That dessert table is AMAZING!! I am going to need a How-To manual for Max's first birthday. I love it!!

    Happy Birthday Little Man!

  2. Wow!!! What awesome decorations!! You thought of everything! I am hiring you for my next party!! Looks like it was an awesome day!!

  3. Just stopping by to say thanks for linking up to my Pity Party. What an amazing first birthday!!! You totally outdid yourself. And my husband is the biggest Steelers fan on the planet so seeing the cute little Steelers cheerleader made me smile! Congrats to you on a wonderful day of memories with friends and family. xo, Mique


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...