Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bad Mommy!

So I think I scared the $h*t out of my child this morning. Like I wanted to cry. Okay, maybe that's a little over dramatic but listen to this... I bought him some new Sesame Street DVDs from Target the other day because they were on sale for $4.95. The trip to Grandma's every day is an hour each way so I wanted to get him a couple more DVDs to watch {although I'm not sure why because he asks for Toodles or Elmo A, C's every day - he forgets the B}. Anyway, I picked this one up. Seriously it was $4.95?!?
Reading the title I just assumed that it would be about Elmo encountering grouchy people and how he dealt with them and I was all for teaching that lesson. Especially since it's usually me that's the grouchy one. Ed often calls me Oscaretta. So I bought it. This morning I popped it in before we left the driveway and Deuce was so excited. He kept pointing to the screen and saying "Elmo!" About 10 minutes into the movie he screamed "ELMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" And he burst out into tears. I mean like a different cry than I've ever heard from him. I usually tune the movies out but when he started screaming I noticed that Elmo sounded like he was in distress. I panicked because Deuce was fuh-reak-ing out in the back and I am driving 75 mph on the interstate. I was trying to tell him that it was okay {even though I couldn't see the screen} but it was not helping. I picked up the DVD box and read the back and apparently Oscar throws Elmo's beloved blanket into the trash and when Elmo reaches in to grab it he falls into Grouchland. So his distress calls were him yelling "WOAHHHHHHHHHHH!" as he's falling down, down, down. And my child was genuinely afraid that something was happening to him. Finally I heard Elmo talking again {I assume he landed safely in Grouchland} so I was able to convince Deuce that he was fine and back on the screen. I felt so bad that he was so scared and then I thought, "Dang you Sesame Street!" And then I thought how cool it was that I get to witness his emotional changes and new understandings of how the world works, all through Elmo. He loves his Elmo.
He's still my strong little dude though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...