Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Old School Favorite with a New School Twist

The most recent craft project supplies.
64 pack Crayola crayons: $4.99
Silicone heart molds: $2.50 per pack of 2 from Target
I decided to try making my own crayons based on the tutorial over at How Does She.  I think I may use them at a certain birthday party that is coming up in - oh, 2 months from today.
I broke the crayons in several pieces and peeled the labels off.  I placed the pieces in each mold.
I added 1 small piece of a contrast color to some of the molds just to see what would happen.  I used bright, fun colors and no dark colors.  I didn't want them to all turn out black from too much color mixing.  I put them in the oven at 250 degrees for 13 minutes and walaa!
I did this late at night so I let them cool in the mold over night.  Then I just popped them out!
Super fun idea for revamping a regular crayon!  I only used one of the molds because I wasn't sure what would happen to it after "cooking" crayons.  I will say I haven't tried to clean it yet but when I popped the crayons out, there was some leftover crayon resin still in the mold.  I rinsed it out but that didn't work.  I am thinking I may have to put it back in the oven to heat it back up to get the resin out.  This way I can start fresh with my new batch!

AND...my little man is 10 months old today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...