Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Updating the Kitchen Light

So we are on a home improvement kick.  Well sort of.  I spend more time than I probably realize redoing our entire house in my head.  I have so many ideas planned out for each space of the house and I just have to find the time to actually get to work on them.  It's incredibly challenging when you work far away from home and have a tot that you can't take your eyes off of! 

So every fixture in our house is that standard, ugly, shiny brass that looks so 1990's.  It's 2011 and if we ever want to sell our house one day, it needs to be up to date.  So our number 1 priority is to update all of the lighting in the house.  Because of all of that ugly brass and the outdated glass fixtures, all of the lighting seems to be a dingy yellow.  I feel like it makes the house seem so small and confined.  It needs to feel open, bright & breezy!  So we will be working hard to update it. {don't mind the dust.}
Project #1 was to change out the old school, overhead lamp that hangs over the kitchen table.  This thing hung so low that when we would eat at the table, Ed & I couldn't see each others face because it was in the way.  Yes, I know, easily fixable with an S hook but I hated the light too so we never got around to getting the S hook because I just kept saying that I wanted another light.
One Sunday, a few weeks back, Ed just said we were going to Lowe's to get the light and we were putting it up that night.  Neither of us has ever installed any sort of lighting so we were praying that we didn't electrocute ourselves.  And being the impatient people that we are, we didn't wait until daylight when we could see without the main power source on.  I mean, come on, it was Sunday and if we waited for daylight we would have had to wait until the next weekend.  No way.  This baby needed to come down.
So anyway, we unpacked the box and got to work. In the dark. With flashlights.  Yep, we sure did.  After some frustrating moments trying to shorten the chain, we were able to install the new light fairly easily and TOGETHER!  Yea for teamwork.  This new light provides so much more light and it's not dingy and yellow.  And it's a modern fixture!  I love it every time I flip the switch!
Now I just need to find something for that back wall.  I have an idea already in mind!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...