Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hello 2013.

After a 2+ month hiatus from blogging, I am back. I had almost a month off from work for the holidays and it was hard for me to even crack open a computer while away from work. I'm not sure that I even opened my computer at home more than twice. Being able to check email, facebook, instagram, etc... all from the phone really eliminates the need to get on the computer while away from work. At least for me anyway. So while I'm sure I'll be kicking myself down the road for not staying on top of things during the 2012 holidays, it was nice to give it a break. I'm going to try and post some of the stuff we did over the break so bear with me as I go backwards and all out of order.

2013 has started out with a lot of changes for our family. I found out in October that my department at work was preparing to undergo a pretty substantial reorganization, effective January 7th. This reorganization was key for me as it opened up a full time position. Just to take you back, I went part time in August of 2011 because I was a temporary employee and the PT job opening was the only thing available. If I wanted to get in permanent with the company I had to settle for PT. While part time salary is not ideal, I was able to finagle our budget and compress my work hours into 3 days. So for almost a year and a half I only worked Monday-Wednesday and had 4 days weekends. Pretty awesome. It also allowed me to have an invaluable amount of time with Deuce before he goes off to school for the next 20 years. My goal has always been to work full time but I was willing to sacrifice with hopes of being full time eventually. My employer has known that I wanted to be full time all along so that was immediately worked into the reorganization. Along with full time I also received a salary grade bump which made going full time all that more exciting. So yes, I am back to working 5 days a week (I was able to secure working from home on Fridays though) and things with my job couldn't get much better right now. Having gone through a heartbreaking layoff, I am more than appreciative of the opportunity I have been given.

So with full time work, comes full time preschool. Deuce started preschool last Monday for the first time ever. And he is loving every second of it. I will do a separate post on school but he really enjoys it. While these changes seem to affect only me and Deuce, the parental responsibilities have totally shifted as well. 
The school has webcams!
Because Deuce is in preschool in Greensboro, Ed is now the taxi service instead of me. The school is about a mile from Ed's job so Ed drops him off in the mornings and picks him up as well. This has helped my commute from Greensboro to RTP tremendously. I am able to change my route to work since I no longer have to go into Chapel Hill to drop Deuce off and pick him up. I would say it has cut off around 30 minutes of my commute each way. It's wonderful. That's an hour less per day of being in the car. I make sure to help get Deuce ready in the mornings and put him to bed at night so we still have our one on one time but Ed is doing a great job adjusting to his new responsibilities. Not that I ever doubted him or anything. It's just that Deuce was always with me and now he's always with Ed. It was bound to happen with a boy anyway.

During December we made a trip to the mountains, made a trip to Virginia, had an awesome Christmas Eve party and spent a lot of time at the gym playing basketball. I've got posts and pictures for all of it. They'll be coming soon! It feels good to be back.


  1. Girl! Congrats on full-time. That is awesome! Great to hear that Deuce loves pre-school. :)I'm excited to know you are back to blogging. Taking a long break from my blog was a blessing in disguise -- really helped me come back refreshed and motivated.

  2. I have missed you and your blog!!! Glad you are back! and CONGRATS on the upgrade in your job-- that is awesome!!! Sounds like things are going really well for you xoxoxox


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...